Sunday 17 February 2013

Pride and Prejudice - The Everlasting Beauty!

A few years ago I decided to take on the challenge of reading Pride and Prejudice. I say challenge - no matter how much I adore romantic classics, it doesn't mean I find them easy to read. They're pretty difficult to find an easy-going flow and whenever I come across a wittily written sentence, I usually laugh smugly, delighted that I can finally appreciate the novel's humour. But I certainly love them. Many probably assume Jane Austen is overrated, especially with the number of films and tv dramas released in the last twenty years. Yet, you have to read the books to fully understand how beautiful they actually are. I haven't managed to read all of her novels but Pride and Prejudice, although churned to dust by the variety of tv adaptations, proves to be worth reading.
Last month, Pride and Prejudice turned 200.

Happy Birthday Pride and Prejudice! 


Some friends had to confirm I meant the book.
My friend Sophie and I celebrated by watching the Colin Firth series over two nights. That's three hours of his smouldering eyes and pouting per night. It was glorious.
Hello, Mr. Darcy
This week we are watching the Keira Knightley version and I have to say I think I prefer it (ooohh controversial...). From a cinematography perspective the film is visually stunning; beautiful wild scenery, a golden terracotta glow covering the screen and shots of natural 18th century dirt. The house in the 1995 version was just too clean, you expect to see a radiator on the wall or a tv in the drawing room. If you merged the two adaptations and had Colin Firth in a much more visually appealing setting you've got yourself a masterpiece. However, Matthew MacFadyen definitely did not disappoint.
Ooohhh smoulder me baby
Don't you wish men were still like this?! Dashing and manly as opposed to child-like and thinks the sun shines out of their behind. However, there was no such thing as feminism back then so really we probably do live in a better era. And Mr Darcy was a tad of a penis to Elizabeth at more than one point. 
I will definitely read the book again. For the time being though, I will enjoy the adaptations on screen, they're both pretty good (the piano scene... ahhhhh so beautiful!!)

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment