Saturday 14 March 2015

Do I Love, Rosie?

I have an obsession. I think it’s relatively unhealthy.

I love book adaptations. Or I love to hate them. I hear about one in post-production; a massive mainstream blockbuster and I practically wet my pants I’m that excited. Even the ones I haven’t read, I will try to read before I see it. The whole way through I naturally compare the film to the book. Which of course you shouldn’t do, but so what, this is how I approach the matter.

Most of the time I prefer the book. I will list all the film’s inadequacies, the plot they omitted, and the inventions and additions in utter fury, practically compiling a letter to script writer. Ahem Harry Potter. But this is a very pleasurable kind of fury.

Occasionally I like both the novel and film as separate entities. Angus Thongs and Perfect (Full Frontal according to the book) snogging. The Hunger Games. Pride and Prejudice, to name a few. These all stay faithful to the novel yet deliver something new as well.

Sometimes though I prefer the film. This is rare because I really like reading! Surely the book, which many people consider to be the ‘original’ source, the stimulus, the inspiration, should naturally be the springboard because it is so good. Not in this case may I add.

Love, Rosie is fairly nice film. It is sweet, tender-hearted, funny, and obviously completely unlike reality, but hey what else is new. The book it is based on is Where Rainbows End by Cecilia Ahern. Now this isn’t the first time I’ve read one of her novels and felt disappointed. P.S I Love You again a great chick-flick falls short on the novel. Ahern creates excellent narratives but doesn’t write them very well.

Just finished reading this book today amazing and heart warming I cant wait for the film adaptation "Love, Rosie" its going to be great ♡

Where Rainbows End tells the story of Rosie and Alex, best friends since childhood, confronted by misunderstandings therefore torn apart, almost brought back together, torn apart again, almost brought back together, torn apart again…this goes on for forty years. In emails. Forty years of emails is a long read. I can’t tell you how frustrating this book is. You kind of hope they get together by the middle as Ahern can’t keep this flimsy ridiculous structure up for as long as she does! Not only does Rosie have baby Katie aged 18 while Alex disappears to Boston (of all places) they each go through a couple of marriages each, divorces, children, terrible jobs, deaths, until they finally…well, the ending happens. By then you just don’t care as they’ve wasted their whole lives!

Love, Rosie on the other hand condenses these four decades into one, no more children are born and only two divorces (only). Katie’s father and Rosie’s first husband is made one character, Alex doesn’t have children, and Rosie has a lot more successes than she would in reality. But, to be honest, this is what a film or book audience want, we don’t need to hear constant whinging about how badly her life has turned out. In the novel you very quickly feel sorry for her friends because of the amount ear-bending she does. Therefore Lily Collins’ Rosie is much more likeable even though her life appears much easier than it should.


If I considered it as a film on its own, without any consideration to the book, I wouldn’t care for it much. Jamie Winstone plays an entirely pointless character, literally only there to advise Rosie. Rosie’s pregnancy and its consequences really don’t appear very important; there is no emphasis on what she’s losing by becoming a young mother. Also, it’s just frustrating that she pretends it hasn’t happened to Alex. He’s meant to be her best friend yet she thinks he shouldn’t know. Rosie’s life seems very easy and the finale comes with her great success. It’s very pleasing for audiences but not particularly believable.

However, I think I’m now just being unnecessarily picky. All I can say is thank you for giving this dry and exhausting narrative some spark! Love, Ally.
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment